MilitaryCAC Forums
July 23, 2014, 06:56:49 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: I'm sorry, if you really want to be a member to this forum email me:  http://militarycac.com/questions.htm  I'm getting between 25-50 request for SPAMMERS to join the forum EVERY day.  I spend more time deleting and creating rules to stop them.

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: DISA Enterprise email - no more email for CAC compliant home computers  (Read 20439 times)
Lippy
Army

View Profile
« on: April 15, 2011, 16:14:22 »

As we move from Area Processing Centers (APC was a complete failure) and move to DISA Enterprise email, we will lose the ability to use email from home as the DISA server only accepts connections from .MIL nodes.  Users coming from commercial IPs must use VPN into the NIPR and VPN is only available to DOIM/NEC imaged platforms.  { sigh }

CW3 Danberry
MilitaryCAC.com Web Helper
Administrator

Your "Chief Computer Geek"

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: April 15, 2011, 16:25:52 »

In my meeting with the Army CIO/G6 in early March I was informed that we will have to install a CITRIX client onto our personal computers in order to access the new mail.mil OWA.

I want to help you successfully setup your CAC on your home computer. If you are still stumped, contact me at: http://militarycac.com/questions.htm
Lippy
Army

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 15, 2011, 16:32:24 »

Citrix is an option.  Albeit an expensive option.  

If your installation has Citrix then yes, it is conceivable to get a Citrix connection within the enclave and then get to web.mail.mil but, you could just as well use MS Outlook (if you know how to configure a profile for the Mail.Mil server).
« Last Edit: April 16, 2011, 03:57:17 by Lippy » Logged
CW3 Danberry
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: May 06, 2011, 03:40:05 »

I hope they do offer us Outlook access.  Because I know I love using Outlook to check my AKO.  And with the CIO/G6's desire to shut down our AKO account, it does make a lot of people angry that we will now be losing our Email for life.

And yes, now you need to purchase a lot of Citrix licenses in addition to the other software.  ie: ActivClient.

I want to help you successfully setup your CAC on your home computer. If you are still stumped, contact me at: http://militarycac.com/questions.htm
Lippy
Army

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 06, 2011, 13:28:22 »

I hope they do offer us Outlook access.  Because I know I love using Outlook to check my AKO.  And with the CIO/G6's desire to shut down our AKO account, it does make a lot of people angry that we will now be losing our Email for life.

And yes, now you need to purchase a lot of Citrix licenses in addition to the other software.  ie: ActivClient.

I truly doubt DISA will open  up the email server to commercial IPs like they did/doing for TED.

In reference to ActivClient licenses, that is a DoD wide-license and as for Citrix, the licenses are for simultaneous server access.  The Citrix client is free.
CW3 Danberry
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: May 06, 2011, 13:32:26 »

The understanding I've been informed of is that each branch of the military has their own licenses for ActivClient.  This is why the Navy makes you literally have to find someone that will give it to you.  The Navy Reserve lets you download it as long as you are logged in with your CAC first.   Smiley 

I agree, it would be way to convenient to be able to use email at home without having to go through several layers of 'stuff.' 

Do you have anything written regarding the DoD wide-license for ActivClient?  I would love to open up the ActivClient on AKO to everyone, but the guidance I received from the Army CAC/ PKI office was AKO is for Army personnel only.

Lippy
Army

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 06, 2011, 13:51:41 »

The understanding I've been informed of is that each branch of the military has their own licenses for ActivClient.  This is why the Navy makes you literally have to find someone that will give it to you.  The Navy Reserve lets you download it as long as you are logged in with your CAC first.   Smiley 

I agree, it would be way to convenient to be able to use email at home without having to go through several layers of 'stuff.' 

Do you have anything written regarding the DoD wide-license for ActivClient?  I would love to open up the ActivClient on AKO to everyone, but the guidance I received from the Army CAC/ PKI office was AKO is for Army personnel only.

You may be correct about each service branch having their own license.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: